Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/18/2014 -- Hong Kong has many positive characteristics including a comparatively high purchasing power, a business-friendly environment and was the first to launch a commercial LTE network in Asia. Mobile subscriber numbers have long passed the 200% penetration mark and the latest data from operators and the regulator show continued growth, and data suggests this rate is slowing down further, prompting a downgrade in our forecast. 3G and 4G however, are the key drivers of growth, outperforming our expectations for the year. Fixed lines continue to post declines at a more rapid pace, although IP lines are a bright spot for the industry.
- Mobile subscriptions continued to grow in 9M13 despite the high penetration rate. We forecast 18.787mn mobile subscribers by the end of our five-year forecast in 2017, a 253% penetration rate, although this is a downgrade to our previous forecast following sluggish growth in the first nine months of the year.
- Full-year data from the regulator for broadband subscriber numbers saw further declines which were unexpected. We believe it will return to growth over the course of our forecast period to 2.5mn broadband subscribers by 2017.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Hong Kong remains in fourth position in BMI's Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings with a telecoms rating score of 65.9, slightly lower than the previous quarter.
Key Trends And Developments
In November 2013, OFCA announced its intention to launch a hybrid administratively assigned/marketbased approach to re-assign 118.4MHz of paired 3G spectrum in the 1,900MHz-2.2GHz band, which has been idle since 2001. The approach will offer each of the four current 3G mobile operators the right of first refusal of 19.8MHz of the spectrum, with the remaining frequencies to be tendered through an auction to be opened to all interested parties and scheduled for Q414. SmarTone has already expressed its disappointment with the decision, arguing it does not benefit consumers. China Mobile is reportedly aiming to acquire 3G spectrum in Hong Kong.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Ireland Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Iran Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- West & Central Africa Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- India Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Nigeria Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Southern Africa Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Denmark Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Saudi Arabia Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- United Arab Emirates Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- North Africa Telecommunications Report Q1 2014