Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Peru Oil & Gas Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/31/2013 -- Opposition from environmentalists and the indigenous population, as well as guerrilla attacks on Peru's energy infrastructure have encouraged us to temper our optimistic stance on the country's hydrocarbons sector to a certain extent. That said, we still retain a positive view overall, forecasting that oil and gas production will expand noticeably over our forecast period given the underexplored nature of the energy sector and one of the more favourable business environment's in the region.
The main trends and developments we highlight in the Peruvian oil and gas sector are:
- Overall, we believe Peru's natural gas prospects remain bright, led by the continued development of its Ucayali basin. We note though, that despite its potential, opposition from environmentalists, the indigenous population and even various government ministries to the development of the Amazon-based hydrocarbons has somewhat tempered our enthusiasm in recent quarters. Indeed, combined with the continued security threat posed by the insurgent group, the Shining Path, this had encouraged us to revise down our projections in the last quarter. As such, while we are still currently forecasting fairly robust natural gas production growth - rising from 11.8 billion cubic meters (bcm) in 2012 to 14.4bcm in 2017 and 17.0bcm by 2022 - we note that this is likely below potential.
- In terms of gas demand, consumption will continue to rise over the forecast period, though at a slower pace than in the past decade, ensuring the country remains a net gas exporter. Indeed, while we expect consumer demand to continue to make solid gain, with the mining sector set for a slowdown on the back of moderating Chinese demand for Peruvian mineral exports, this will likely temper the expansion. As such, after estimated 2012 consumption of 6.0bcm, we expect gas consumption of 7.6bcm in 2017, just surpassing 10.0bcm by 2022.
- Despite our expectations for sluggish crude production, we anticipate Peru's total liquids output will continue rising - buoyed by natural gas liquids - from a total of 155,980 barrels per day (b/d) in 2012 to 189,950b/d in 2017 and 213,000b/d in 2022. Meanwhile oil demand, which averaged around 171,700 barrels per day (b/d) in 2012, is likely slump over the long term, hitting 173,400b/d in 2017 and 167,410b/d in 2022 as we see increasing efforts to move toward gas-generated energy. This implies the country could become a net exporter of oil over the coming years.
- Peru retains one of the better Risk/Reward Ratings in the region given both the country's highly prospective underexplored acreage and attractive contract terms. We note though, that continued high levels of red tape remain a significant hindrance to the sector, as does the uncertainty regarding the regulatory environment issues surrounding drilling in the Amazon.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Energy research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- OJSC Rosneft Oil Company Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Insignia Energy Ltd. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Second Wave Petroleum Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Plains Exploration & Production Company Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Helix Energy Solutions Group, Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- McMoRan Exploration Co. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Greenfields Petroleum Corporation Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Company Intelligence Report
- Petoro AS Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
Copyright © 2005-2014 - SBWire, The Small Business Newswire - All Rights Reserved - Important Disclaimer
Contact Us: 888-4-SBWIRE (US) - 920-593-5640 (International)