Fast Market Research recommends "United States Telecommunications Report Q1 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/19/2013 -- Executive Summary BMI View: The US mobile market is one of the world leaders in terms of new technologies and advancements. The first commercial US LTE network took place in 2010, and market leader Verizon now accounts for around 50% of LTE subscribers in the world. As a result, US mobile operators have retained high ARPU figures. With the release of the LTE-compatible iPhone 5, we expect the data services market to experience a strong boom in 2013, buoying up revenues for the main operators which offer the popular handset.
- BMI estimates the mobile market in the US reached 324.55mn subscribers at the end of Q312. This is a year-on-year (y-o-y) increase of 4.3%. The number of net additions in the year ended September 2012 was 13.440mn.
- BMI estimates there were around 97.808mn fixed telephony subscribers in the market at the end of Q312. All operators reported declines y-o-y. AT&T had the largest market share, 36.6%, with 35.8mn subscribers.
- The broadband market reached 91.5mn in Q312 according to BMI estimates.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Trends & Developments
- T-Mobile USA had upgraded its network infrastructure to HSPA+ in 18 total markets as of December 11 2012. In transforming its network capabilities, T-Mobile hopes to stabilise a declining market position by retaining its existing subscriber base. T-Mobile is taking longer to upgrade services to the US' biggest cities, and is falling behind its main competitors in rolling out 4G services. The upgrade is not expected to be completed until mid-2013, and therefore, BMI does not think this network advancement will have a major impact on the market.
- Satellite TV operator DISH Network may be close to brokering a spectrum-sharing deal with Sprint Nextel that would allow the company to build and launch a nationwide 4G mobile broadband network. Such a deal require regulatory approval, but would remove many of the potential legal barriers expected to have forestalled DISH's ambitious plans. While BMI welcomes the prospects of additional competition in the US' 4G market, we caution that Sprint has a chequered history of partnering with third parties - particularly pay-TV operators - in the mobile space and that we expect a bumpy ride ahead for DISH in establishing its new offering.
- T-Mobile USA and Crown Castle International Corporation (CCI) completed a deal on November 30 2012, wherein CCI will exclusively lease and operate 7,200 T-Mobile transmitter towers over an average 28-year period for an immediate cash consideration of US$2.4bn. CCI will also have the right to acquire the towers at the end of the respective lease terms.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- United Arab Emirates Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- United Kingdom Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Russia Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- United States Shipping Report Q1 2013
- United States Food & Drink Report Q1 2013
- United States Tourism Report Q1 2013
- United States Petrochemicals Report Q1 2013
- United States Real Estate Report Q1 2013
- United States Metals Report Q1 2013
- United States Mining Report Q1 2013