Recently published research from Euromonitor International, "Spirits in Dominican Republic", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/17/2014 -- The fiscal reform is clearly the event that influenced the most the performance of spirits during 2013. The tax rises in most tax types, from gasoline and savings to value added and excise, led to a double negative effect on the consumption of spirits: a decrease in the disposable income of consumers, and an increase in the prices of spirits in a magnitude never seen before. The subsequent volume drop was a sharp 8%, but it could have been worse, since the economic slowdown did not only affect the category negatively. The fact that the largest spirits category (rum) is also the most affordable allowed rum to capture downtrading, which is the typical effect during economic slowdown. As a consequence, rum volumes "only" declined by 7% during the year.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Brugal & Co remained the leading company in rum with a 69% volume share in 2013. Since rum is 80% of total spirits volume, Brugal is also the leading company in spirits with a 56% volume share. The brand is also the most recognised Dominican brand in the world.
The impact of the tax-driven price increases on spirits' volume is not expected to be as negative as in 2013. There are several reasons behind that assumption: tax rises may be smoothed out vis-a-vis what is in the fiscal reform law enacted in 2012. The government saw that the shock therapy was counterproductive in 2013 since tax collections declined in spite of the massive tax increases, and that could lead to revision of the calendar of increases. In fact, the second annual round of tax rises, which was supposed to be implemented in January 2014, had not happened by February and the implementation date was still not clear then. This in spite of the fact that for 2014 there was not a triple tax increase but a double one, and to a lesser degree (only specific and ad valorem and not value added). Subsequently, prices could grow less on average for the year (if implementation gets delayed). Another reason behind the assumption of a not so negative impact on volume is the recovery of the economy and the subsequent increase in disposable income steadily over the forecast period. This would allow consumers to bear more the price increases and in that way limit downtrading or volume consumption decrease.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Spirits industry in Dominican Republic with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Spirits industry in Dominican Republic, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Spirits in Dominican Republic market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Spirits in Dominican Republic?
- What are the major brands in Dominican Republic?
- Are consumers switching from international spirits to 'cheaper' local spirits as consumer spending is being squeezed?
- What is the most popular price point for blended Scotch; super-premium, premium, standard or economy and has the recession resulted in a switch?
- How do premium vs standard vs economy brands compete for sales?
- What are the key flavours in vodka?
Reasons to Get this Report
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
Product coverage: Brandy and Cognac, Liqueurs, Other Spirits, Rum, Tequila (and Mezcal), Whiskies, White Spirits.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Beverages research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Spirits Market in Dominican Republic: Databook to 2017
- The Future of the Spirits Market in Czech Republic to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape
- The Future of the Spirits Market in Czech Republic to 2017
- The Future of the Spirits Market in Czech Republic to 2018
- Soft Drinks Market in Dominican Republic: Databook to 2017
- Alcoholic Drinks in Dominican Republic
- Spirits Market in Central African Republic: Databook to 2017
- Still and Sparkling Wine Market in Dominican Republic: Databook to 2017
- Spirits in the Czech Republic
- The Future of the Wine Market in Czech Republic to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape