Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "United Kingdom Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/26/2015 -- The pharmaceutical and healthcare markets of the United Kingdom are driven by government spending in the form of the National Health System (NHS), which accounts for over 80% of total healthcare spending. With a higher prevalence of non-communicable diseases, coupled with an ageing population, the increased demand for healthcare may lead to the enforcement of cost - containment strategies and movement away from expensive treatment options.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Pharmaceuticals: GBP24.53bn (USD38.01bn) in 2013 to GBP24.63bn (USD40.89bn) in 2014; +0.44% in local currency terms and +7.6% in US dollar terms.
Healthcare: GBP148.50bn (USD230.18bn) in 2013 to GBP152.01bn (USD252.34bn) in 2014; +2.4% in local currency terms and +9.6% in US dollar terms.
In Q115, the UK is ranked as the most attractive market in the Western Europe region (scoring 74.1 out of 100), followed by Germany (72.9) and Switzerland (72.4). The UK's score is boosted by the large multi-billion dollar drug market (market expenditure score of 16.0 out of 20) and large pensionable population (pensionable population score of 7.2 out of 8), but dragged down by a shrinking population (population growth score of 2.0 out of 5).
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Trends And Developments
- In November 2014, it was announced that the UK has reached a compromise with Germany proposed ending its patent box regime, due to allegations that the scheme gives the UK a competitive advantage over other EU member countries. The transition to a new regime requires tax benefits to be connected directly to research and development (R&D) expenditure and necessitates ratification by the G20 and OECD, according to the Treasury.
- An amendment to the UK's patent law came into effect on October 1, which is expected to attract pharmaceutical research back to the UK. The amendment will eradicate the risk of infringement claims and allow pharmaceutical companies to use a patented product during clinical trials. The...
The United Kingdom Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's United Kingdom Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the British pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's independent pharmaceutical and healthcare industry forecasts for United Kingdom to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the British pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the British pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in United Kingdom.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and Competitive Landscape Tables.
BMI Industry View & Industry SWOT
An at-a-glance perspective on latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The SWOT outlines strategic factors which affect BMI's forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI's political, economic and business environment SWOTS, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
Snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as an analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
Focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, company M&As, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast, including:
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- United States Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015
- Germany Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015
- Jordan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015
- Malaysia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015
- Peru Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015