Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/03/2014 -- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a rare, but fatal, motor neuron disease (MND) characterized by axonal degeneration and progressive loss of motor neurons. ALS affects both the upper (brain to spinal cord) and lower (brain stem to muscle tissue) motor neurons, gradually reducing a patient's ability to initiate and control muscle movement. Muscle atrophy, starting in the periphery (arms and legs), ultimately leads to complete paralysis after several years of progressive worsening of muscle strength. Respiratory failure is the most common cause of death, as smooth muscle function becomes affected when the disease is in its final stages. The progressively degenerative course of the condition is a great burden for both patients and caregivers, as well as for society. ALS usually affects people age =40 years, and has a worldwide incidence of about two cases per 100,000 population, and a prevalence ranging between four and seven cases per 100,000.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Questions Answered
- How does the patent expiration of Rilutek effect the ALS market?
- The pipeline consists of novel but unproven mechanisms of action in ALS. Which of these therapies will attain high sales revenues during 2013-2018, and in which markets?
- How large an impact will Methycobal and Edaravone have on the ALS market in Japan? What do key opinion leaders think of these treatment approaches?
- What effects will advancing diagnostic and disease modeling capabilities have on drug development?
- What regulatory efforts are likely to affect drug development in the markets researched? Which is the largest growth market globally?
- Country-specific orphan drug and rare disease policy heavily influences development opportunities in the 7MM.
- Discovery of potential symptomatic and disease-modifying therapies in early stage clinical development is challenged by the absence of ALS biomarkers and disease staging that can demonstrate a patient's response to treatment.
- Pharmaceutical products for ALS will face growing competition from gene and stem cell-based therapies.
- Advances in animal modeling are expected to have a significant impact on ALS drug development.
- Overview of ALS, including etiology and pathophysiology, general symptoms, quality of life, country-specific treatment recommendations and epidemiologic data.
- Annualized ALS market revenue, annual cost of treatment and usage patterns from 2013 and forecast for five years to 2018.
- Key topics covered include unmet needs analysis, research and development strategies, pipeline assessment, and pipeline valuation analysis for the ALS market.
- Pipeline valuation analysis: clinical and commercial benchmarking of AB Science's AB-1010 (masitinib), Cytokinetics' CK-2017357 (tirasemtiv), Mitsubishi Tanabe's Radicut (edaravone), Eisai's Methycobal (mecobalamin), and Orphazyme ApS' arimoclomol.
- Assessment of the current and future market competition in the global ALS drug market. Insightful review of the key industry and governmental drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to Get This Report
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the ALS market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global ALS market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global ALS market from 2013-2018.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Pharmaceuticals research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis - Pipeline Review, H1 2014
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Global Clinical Trials Review, H1, 2014
- Global Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Market 2014-2018
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis - Pipeline Review, H2 2013
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Acne Vulgaris - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2018
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Autism Spectrum Disorder - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2018
- EpiCast Report: Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis - Epidemiology Forecast to 2023
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Gout - Opportunity Analysis and Forecast to 2018
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Endometriosis - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017