Fast Market Research recommends "Photonic Integrated Circuit (IC) & Quantum Computing Market-By Application (Optical Fiber Communication, Optical Fiber Sensors, Biomedical), Integration (Hybrid, Module & Monolithic), Components, Raw Materials & Geography (2012 - 2022)" from Markets and Markets, now available
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/21/2012 -- Photonic Integrated circuits (PIC) is a breakthrough technology as it uses photons (smallest unit of light) as the data carrier instead of electrons (smallest unit of electricity) used in electronic ICs. As light travels at very high speeds, PIC technology is widely used to transfer huge amounts of data at a very high speed. Thus the PIC based products are primarily deployed in the field of optical fiber communications. Photonic integrated circuits market is growing at a phenomenal rate as it provides significant improvements in system size, power consumption, reliability and cost. The development of silicon photonics technology has helped in large scale manufacturing of PICs at low cost. Also current leading players have developed monolithically integrated Indium Phosphide (InP) based PICs that can integrate more than 600 components/functions in a single chip. Thus there is a huge competition in the market as each player is trying to innovate PIC based products which would be able to integrate large amounts of functions/components at low cost.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Optical sensors application is the other promising application in this market. It is used in fields like defense, aerospace, energy, transportation, medicine and other emerging fields. Quantum computing is another application of PICs which is forecasted to be commercialized in 2017. This technology is expected to completely revolutionize the computing industry. PICs are also used in biomedical field. InP-based application specific photonic ICs are being used for the diagnostic analysis of opaque skin tissue. The technique principally used here is Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) or Raman Scatterometry.
At present North America has the largest market for PIC based products, especially in data centers and WAN applications of optical fiber communications. However, APAC is the largest player in the access network application of optical fiber communications right now. North America is the leader in PIC market with 49% market share however it is estimated that APAC will emerge as the market leader by 2022 growing at a CAGR of 35.9% from 2012 to 2022.
The report covers recent developments in the PIC industry like NeoPhotonics (U.S.) acquiring Santur Corporation (U.S.) in October 2011 and the acquisition of Opnext (U.S.) by Oclaro(U.S.). Several other acquisitions, mergers, new product launch, agreements etc. have taken place recently and are discussed in the report.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Computer Technology research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Gallium Nitride (GaN) Semiconductor Devices (Discretes & ICs) Market, Global Forecast & Analysis (2012 - 2022)
- Global Nanoelectromechanical Systems (NEMS) Market (2012 - 2022) by Applications (STM/AFM, Medical, Gas/Flow Sensor, RF), Products (Switches, Cantilevers), Components (Nanotubes, Nanowires, Nanofilms), Materials (Graphene, ZnO, SiC, GaN, Si
- Global Silicon Photonics Market (2010 - 2015)
- Laser Technology Market by Types (Fiber Laser, CO2 Laser, Solid-state Laser, Excimer Laser, Dye Laser, Diode Laser) & Applications - Global Forecast and Analysis (2012 - 2017)
- Quantum Dots (QD) Market Global Forecast & Analysis (2012 - 2022)
- Three-Dimensional Integrated Circuit & Through-Silicon Via Interconnects Market - Global Forecast & Trend Analysis (2011 - 2016) By Technology, Products & Applications
- Radio Frequency Components (RFC) Market For Consumer Electronics - Global Forecast & Analysis (2012 - 2017)
- Global Pressure Sensor Market (2012 - 2017) Forecast, Trend & Analysis - Segmentation by Technology [Piezoresistive, Capacitive, Electromagnetic (Reluctance), Resonant Solid State, Optical], Applications [Process & Non process] & Geography
- Semiconductor (Silicon) Intellectual Property (Ip) Market (2012 - 2017) Global Forecasts & Analysis
- Touch Controller IC Market Global Forecast & Analysis (2011 - 2016)