Cincinnati, OH -- (SBWIRE) -- 06/24/2014 -- QC Software, an industry leader in providing innovative software solutions for order fulfillment and distribution centers, offered key ways manufacturers and distributors can lower shipping costs in the company blog.
- Perform a comprehensive audit and evaluate freight costs. Understand all the costs involved in transporting the product. QC Software recommends looking at all suppliers and trading partners for domestic and international shipping. Evaluate service requirements to maintain proper service levels. Consultants can often find additional ways to cut costs.
- Use the right technology. Make sure there is appropriate equipment for the operation. Agile warehouse control software is essential for efficiently managing resources and operational flow.
- Lower the cost of materials. Find out if less expensive packing materials are adequate for transporting orders. Instead of using cardboard totes and wooden pallets, plastic containers and pallets that are light weight, durable and reusable can often be less expensive in the long run. Use carton optimization software to ensure the minimum size and number of totes are used for shipping.
- Maintain end-to-end product visibility. With the right software distributors can accurately track inventory items and orders throughout the order fulfillment process, across multiple warehouses and channels.
- Increase the velocity. Streamline floor operations to reduce handling and increase order fulfillment rates. Make sure the IT system provides real-time data and alerts. This allows distributors to quickly pinpoint and resolve problems, thereby minimizing downtime and improving productivity.
- Utilize cross docking when possible. With an automated process, distributors can efficiently consolidate and move orders from receiving directly to shipping. This eliminates storage, replenishment, picking and sorting activities, thereby lowering labor costs and improving on-time deliveries.
Lastly, manage the freight program using best practices. Periodically review the planning, procurement and management processes to identify and adapt best practices. Regulations, costs and customer requirements can change frequently. What worked well last year may not be as effective today.
To read the entire blog, go to: http://qcsoftware.com/wp/?p=48.
QC Software (http://www.qcsoftware.com) is proud to host the event and is recognized as an industry leader for order fulfillment and distribution centers. These innovative software solutions help North American and European distribution centers and warehouses to streamline operations with the lowest total cost of ownership in the industry. Warehouse managers realize increased system productivity and dependability.
About QC Software
QC Enterprise, the premier software product suite, is the result of extensive research, development, and rigorous testing. It is a proven product that provides benefits to leading manufacturers, retailers, and direct sales organizations. This complete, integrated warehouse control system is configurable, scalable, and modular to suit a wide range of user requirements. QC Software customers gain a competitive edge in today’s complex economy. Follow on Twitter @QCSoftware.
QC Software, Inc.