New Pharmaceuticals market report from Datamonitor: "R&D Trends: Parkinson's Disease - Pipeline swells but a paradigm shift is unlikely in the mid-term"
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 08/17/2012 -- Since early 2011, R&D efforts in Parkinson's disease have been met with mixed success. In Q1 2012, the US FDA re-approved UCB's Neupro (rotigotine patch), and accepted the New Drug Application filing for Impax/GSK's IPX066 for idiopathic Parkinson's disease. Meanwhile, the development of eight late-stage pipeline candidates has been discontinued due to lacklustre efficacy.
- Understand key dynamics in the R&D pipeline for new Parkinson's disease therapies.
- Benchmark novel and existing therapies using the target product profile identified by Datamonitor.
- Support R&D decision making by evaluating current and future Parkinson's disease clinical trial designs.
- Evaluate the most promising new pharmacological targets in early-stage development.
- Access Datamonitor's prediction of how the Parkinson's disease treatment landscape may change in the next 20 years.
Since December 2010, the Parkinson's disease pipeline has grown by 28% to a sizeable 168 individual programs. While the vast majority (67%) of the pipeline candidates are in the preclinical stage, many of these will fail to progress into later stages of development due to the high rate of attrition.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Despite targeting a wide variety of mechanisms, the majority of pipeline candidates targeting well established mechanisms are reformulations. Unless additional clinical differentiation can be demonstrated, these products will struggle to pose strong competition to current market leading agents.
High placebo response and poor recruitment of patients are just some of the many challenges inherent in Parkinson's disease clinical trials. Better understanding the etiology of the condition and the development of biomarkers will aid the development of novel therapies. The identification of a disease modifying treatment remains the ultimate goal.
Reasons to Get this Report
- What are the key trends in the Parkinson's disease pipeline?
- How has the pipeline evolved since December 2010?
- What is the clinical gold standard and how do new candidates have to compare to this to successfully penetrate the market?
- What are the main challenges inherent in the conduct of Parkinson's disease clinical trials and what can be done to overcome these?
- How will understanding the etiology and biomarkers aid early diagnosis and direct the development of disease-modifying drugs in the future?
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Pharmaceuticals research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Early Stage Drug Discovery in Disease Segments - Innovation Focuses on Stem Cell Therapies and Gene Therapies
- Comparative Analysis of Late Stage Pipeline Molecules in Major Indications - Oncology Pipeline Leads with Most Promising Molecules in Late Stage Development
- End-stage Renal Disease Therapeutics - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2019
- R&D Trends: Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Unmet needs fuel diverse pipeline
- Parkinson's Disease Therapeutics - Global Drug Forecasts and Treatment Analysis to 2020
- Huntington's Disease (HD) Therapeutics - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2018
- Gaucher's Disease Therapeutics - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2018
- Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Therapeutics - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2019
- Periodontal Disease Therapeutics - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2018
- Pompe Disease (GAA Deficiency) Therapeutics - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2019