New Energy market report from Business Monitor International: "Russia Power Report Q3 2014"
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 05/30/2014 -- BMI View: Risk aversion, capital outflows, a weak rouble and emergency monetary tightening underpin our deteriorating outlook for the Russian economy and - by extension - the domestic power sector. The strong correlation between economic activity and power demand means that the crisis in Ukraine has suppressed our forecasts for the power sector - based on the bleak outlook for investor sentiment and FDI, as well as softening consumer purchasing power.
Our already subdued outlook for Russia's domestic power market has deteriorated further this quarter due to significant downward revisions to our broader economic growth forecasts. Power demand in Russia is highly correlated with economic development and industrial production and a slowdown across the broader economy will lead to weaker growth in the power sector. There were already signs that the economy was weakening in 2013 - weakness that will now be exacerbated by the fallout from Russia's incursion into Ukraine in 2014.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Investor confidence in Russia has been damaged by the country's involvement in the Ukraine crisis and the implications for the economy and - by extension - the power sector are significant. Although we believe that investors have priced-out the possibility of Russia invading Eastern Ukraine and the West disrupting Russia's trade and capital cross-border flows in retaliation, our Country Risk team now expects real GDP growth of 1.0% in 2014 and 1.5% in 2015, as opposed to previous forecasts of 1.9% and 2.1% respectively.
Specifically, although our core view is that Western sanctions will be little more than symbolic in nature and direct Russian military intervention in Eastern Ukraine is increasingly unlikely, risk aversion has led to major capital outflows from Russia in Q114. As such, the outlook for foreign direct investment (FDI) in Russia is bleak. While we do not anticipate a full-scale exodus of Western capital, planned projects may be delayed as businesses wait for greater political...
The Russia Power Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s market assessment and independent forecasts covering electricity generation (coal, gas, oil, nuclear, hydro and non-hydro renewables), electricity consumption, trade, transmission and distribution losses and electricity generating capacity.
The Russia Power Report also analyses the impact of regulatory changes, recent developments and the background macroeconomic outlook and features competitive landscapes comparing national and multinational operators by sales, market share, investments, projects, partners and expansion strategies.
- Use BMI's independent industry forecasts for Russia to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic planning in the power market.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Energy research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Venezuela Power Report Q3 2014
- Power Monthly Deal Analysis - February 2014: M&A and Investment Trends
- Nuclear Power in the UK, Market Outlook to 2025, Update 2014 - Capacity, Generation, Deployment Trends, Investments, Power Plants, Regulations, and Company Profiles
- Malaysia Power Report Q3 2014
- Nuclear Power in France, Market Outlook to 2025, Update 2014 - Capacity, Generation, Deployment Trends, Investments, Power Plants, Regulations, and Company Profiles
- Mexico Power Report Q3 2014
- Argentina Power Report Q3 2014
- Poland Power Report Q3 2014
- Thermal Power in the UK, Market Outlook to 2025, Update 2014 - Capacity, Generation, Power Plants, Regulations and Company Profiles
- Thailand Power Report Q3 2014