Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Italy Freight Transport Report 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/12/2013 -- Freight Sector Recovery As Recession Bottoms Out
Although the recession in Italy shows clear signs of having bottomed out, the recovery remains fragile and at risk from a renewed bout of political instability. We estimate real GDP to contract by 1.5% in 2013, before returning to positive growth of just 0.3% and 0.7% in 2014 and 2015 respectively. The Italian freight sector appears to be making a steady recovery too, showing positive signs over the medium term, buffered by new developments in European trade links.
Headline Industry Data
- Port of Genoa cargo volume set to rise by 0.3% to 54.534mn tonnes in 2013 (down fractionally from a 0.4% contraction in 2012).
- Air freight volumes are expected to see 1.0% growth in 2013 and a further 2.0% expansion in 2014.
- Road haulage will grow by 1.6% to 1.238bn tonnes in 2014, after a 16.3% contraction in 2012.
- Cargo volumes carried by rail will increase in 2014 by 1.0% to 86.708mn tonnes.
- In real terms Italy's trade (imports + exports) will drop by 2.0% in 2013 and recover with 1.9% growth in 2014.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Industry Trends
Still Bettering European Rail Freight Links
A high-speed rail link between France and Italy, has been approved between Lyon and Turin, widely viewed as an ideal freight connection. The project, costing an estimated EUR8.5bn will see a 57km long tunnel built through the Alps between Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne in France and Susa, Italy. France and Italy will fund 60% of the project, with the remaining 40% hinging on EU funding. The project will reduce congestion on the Alpine ways by more than one million annually. The rail link is unlikely to open before 2028-2029 and consensus suggests it is likely to exceed its estimated cost. The French transport users federation, FNAUT, is backing the project, despite fierce environmentalist opposition. Incentives for switching modes from road to rail will need to be considered.
Some Signs Of Air Freight Growth
Qatar Airways Cargo has launched a new freighter service between the well-established freight route, the US and Italy. The new link doubled the capacity of the company's cargo services out of the US. The service, launched on July 3 2013, operates twice a week between Milan and Chicago, and is a significant development for Qatar Airways.
Maritime Expansions: Venice Dredging Allows For Larger Carriers
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Transportation research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Nigeria Freight Transport Report 2014
- Argentina Freight Transport Report Q1 2014
- Serbia Freight Transport Report 2014
- United Arab Emirates Freight Transport Report Q1 2014
- Vietnam Freight Transport Report Q1 2014
- Slovakia Freight Transport Report 2014
- Egypt Freight Transport Report Q1 2014
- Malaysia Freight Transport Report Q1 2014
- Australia Freight Transport Report Q1 2014
- United States Freight Transport Report Q4 2013
Copyright © 2005-2014 - SBWire, The Small Business Newswire - All Rights Reserved - Important Disclaimer
Contact Us: 888-4-SBWIRE (US) - 920-593-5640 (International)