Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 06/13/2014 -- The growing Kenyan population will support the growth of the country's pharmaceuticals and healthcare industry. While fertility rates have dropped over the l ast decade, from 5.0 births per woman in 2003 to 4.4 births per woman in 2013, we note that these figures are well above developed state fertility rates. In 2009, the EU-27 average stood at 1.59 live births per woman. However, we note that the country's young population will act as a limiting factor for pharmaceutical demand, presenting a challenge to drugmakers. In 2013, the median age of the population was 18.8 years and by 2050 this will increase marginally to 25.5 years.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: KES55.29bn (USD642mn) in 2013 to KES64.32bn (USD742mn) in 2014; 16.3% growth in local currency terms and 15.6% in US dollar terms.
- Healthcare: KES178.67bn (USD2.07bn) in 2013 to KES205.30bn (USD2.37bn) in 2014; 14.9% growth in local currency terms and 14.2% in US dollar terms.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
In BMI's Q314 Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Risk/Reward Ratings (RRRs), Kenya is 20th in the Middle East and Africa (MEA). A large counterfeiting industry, poor healthcare funding, corruption, regulatory deficiencies and a number of other issues will conspire to keep Kenya in a low position in the MEA matrix. Nevertheless, in comparison with many other African markets, most of which are not surveyed by BMI, Kenya offers more commercial promise and a more stable overall business environment.
Key Trends And Developments
Expanding its portfolio of innovative non-voice services, in April 2014 it was reported that Kenya's largest telecoms operator Safaricom has partnered insurance companies Britam and Changamka to launch a health insurance product in the country, specifically targeting the micro-insurance sector. Changamka provides financing mechanisms to deliver affordable healthcare to Kenya's low income population using primarily mobile phone and smart card technologies.
The Kenya Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Kenya Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Kenyan pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's independent pharmaceutical and healthcare industry forecasts for Kenya to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Kenyan pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Peru Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- France Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Turkey Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Slovenia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Jordan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Estonia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Bulgaria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Belgium Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Taiwan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Colombia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014