Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/17/2014 -- We see the most growth potential for the livestock sector in Poland owing to increased export potential to the EU and Asia. The livestock industry in the country is relatively price-competitive compared with industry majors such as Brazil and the US, but it does not necessarily have the right export networks and infrastructure to rival these countries. We believe a law prohibiting kosher beef production, the horsemeat scandal and recent quality concerns in the beef industry will limit growth potential in the beef sector, but poultry and pork are likely to continue to perform strongly. For grains, we are turning more positive on corn production prospects in the long term as the country is investing in area expansion for the crop. For sugar, we see growth potential limited by the recent U-turn in the EU's biofuels policy, which restricts the amount of food crops to be used in the production of ethanol.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
- Corn production growth to 2016/17: 71.8% to 4.1mn tonnes. This extremely high number is due to base effects but also to recent investment in expansion in the crop on the back of high global prices and tight regional markets. Now that global prices have moderated, we expect production growth to be more limited and come mainly from yield rather than area, but we believe 4.1mn tonnes by the end of the forecast period is achievable.
- Beef consumption growth to 2017: 8.2% to 183,600 tonnes. Over the past decade, beef consumption has declined rapidly in the wake of bovine spongiform encephalopathy and with consumers believing that poultry is a healthier choice. The horsemeat scandal, as well as recent quality concerns, could affect consumption growth over the long term, and we have revised down our forecasts out to 2016/17.
- 2014 real GDP growth: 2.3% (up slightly from an estimated 1.2% in 2013; predicted to average 2.7% over the period 2012-2017).
- Consumer price inflation: 1.9% year-on-year (y-o-y) on average for 2014 (up from the 1.0% y-o-y estimated for 2013).
- BMI universe agribusiness market value: 3.4% y-o-y decrease to US$26.1bn in 2013/14, forecast to increase on average by 0.3% annually between 2011/12 and 2016/17.
Revisions To Forecasts:
- Barley production revised down from 4.0mn tonnes to 3.3mn tonnes on lower plantings and yields.
- Corn 2013/14 production revised down from 3.9mn tonnes to 3.1mn tonnes on the back of recent official estimates.
- Corn2014/15 production revised up from 3.2mn tonnes to 3.9mn tonnes as we expect yields to recover from their current subdued level and area planted to remain at current highs.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Food research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Colombia Agribusiness Report Q1 2014
- Malaysia Agribusiness Report Q1 2014
- Cameroon Agribusiness Report Q1 2014
- Vietnam Agribusiness Report Q1 2014
- Morocco Agribusiness Report Q1 2014
- Greece Agribusiness Report Q1 2014
- Germany Agribusiness Report Q1 2014
- Australia Agribusiness Report Q1 2014
- Mozambique Agribusiness Report Q1 2014
- South Korea Agribusiness Report Q1 2014