New Construction market report from Business Monitor International: "South Korea Infrastructure Report Q3 2014"
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 06/19/2014 -- The South Korean construction sector has exhibited signs of a growth deceleration in Q413 and we believe this slowdown will continue into 2014 - we are forecasting construction real growth forecast at just 0.5% for 2014, compared to 3.6% in 2013. This is primarily because of our downbeat outlook towards all of South Korea's construction sector drivers - namely, weak macro fundamentals for residential buildings, a poor export outlook for non-residential buildings and declining government spending on infrastructure.
Some notable factors that affected infrastructure development in Q313 were:
- This slowdown in Q413 construction growth was due to a sharp slowdown in infrastructure activity. Real growth in the infrastructure sector contracted by 0.7% y-o-y in Q413, compared to a growth of 6.9% y-oy in Q313. Conversely, real growth for the residential and non-residential building sectors accelerated in Q413. Real growth for the residential building sector accelerated from 9.6% y-o-y in Q313 to 10.6% y-oy in Q413, while real growth for the non-residential sector accelerated from 3.0% y-o-y in Q313 to 7.8% y-o-y in Q413.
- Despite the muted outlook, we note that our construction growth forecast for 2014 is still significantly higher than the historical ten-year average (the sector contracted by an average of 0.26% per annum between 2004 and 2013 [based on 2010 prices]). This is because monetary conditions in South Korea remain relatively conducive for construction activity. The Bank of Korea has maintained the benchmark base rate at 2.50% since May 2013. This rate is a four-year low and in our opinion, is unlikely to change over 2014, with monetary tightening to only take place in 2015 at the earliest.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Construction research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Nigeria Infrastructure Report Q3 2014
- Czech Republic Infrastructure Report Q3 2014
- Chile Infrastructure Report Q3 2014
- Germany Infrastructure Report Q3 2014
- Ecuador Infrastructure Report Q3 2014
- Turkey Infrastructure Report Q3 2014
- Hungary Infrastructure Report Q3 2014
- Kazakhstan Infrastructure Report Q3 2014
- Singapore Infrastructure Report Q3 2014
- Australia Infrastructure Report Q3 2014