Phoenix, AZ -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/29/2014 -- Marquet International, Ltd. announced today that the results from its just released 2013 Marquet Report on Embezzlement, will be the subject of discussion on Fraud Talk, a weekly online radio program on the business channel of Voice America. Fraud Talk is hosted by Chris Marquet, who is the author of the report, his 6th annual study of major embezzlement cases in the United States. The study examined 554 major embezzlement cases active in the US in 2013 – those with more than $100,000 in reported losses.
Some highlights from The 2013 Marquet Report on Embezzlement include:
- 2013 experienced the highest rate of employee theft in 6 years;
- The number of major embezzlements increased 5% over 2012;
- Financial institutions, government entities and non-profits hardest hit;
- Gambling addiction seen as a factor;
- Vermont topped the list of states with highest risk for loss due to embezzlement in 2013;
- The average loss was about $1.1 million for major embezzlement cases in 2013; and,
- Credit Unions continue at record levels of embezzlement.
"2013 was a gangbuster year for embezzlement in the United States, exceeding even 2012's previous record pace," said Chris Marquet, host of Fraud Talk and CEO of Marquet International. "What is remarkable is depth, magnitude and frequency of employee theft in the US economy," continued Marquet. "Vermont topped the list of highest embezzlement risk states in the nation for the third time in six years," he said. These findings should make for a great discussion on the Fraud Talk program.
The study also included a select review of 6 years of aggregated data and reported some conclusions Marquet has derived from analysis:
- Perpetrators typically begin their embezzlement schemes in their early 40s;
- Major embezzlement schemes span nearly a 5 year period, on average;
- By a significant margin, embezzlers are most likely to be individuals who hold financial positions within organizations;
- The Financial Services industry suffers the greatest losses from major embezzlements;
- Government entities, along with Non-profits, including religious organizations, experience follow financial institutions as the most frequently victimized industry category;
- Vermont, Florida, Missouri, Montana and Virginia are most regularly on the list of highest risk states for embezzlement;
- The most common embezzlement scheme is the forgery or unauthorized issuance of company checks;
- Women are more likely to embezzle on a large scale than men;
- Men embezzle significantly more than women in major embezzlement cases;
- Gambling is a clear motivating factor in driving some major embezzlement cases; and,
- About 5 percent of major embezzlers have a prior criminal history.
About Fraud Talk/Chris Marquet
Fraud Talk is a weekly online radio program on the Voice America Business Channel that discusses current topics, cases and trends in white collar crime. Each week host Chris Marquet interviews a noteworthy guest expert in some manner of fraud. Chris Marquet is a well-known 30 year veteran corporate investigator and CEO of Marquet International, Ltd., based in Boston. Fraud Talk can be accessed at http://www.voiceamerica.com/show/2349/fraudtalk and a copy of The 2013 Marquet Report on Embezzlement can be obtained by e-mailing a request to email@example.com or by going to www.marquetinternational.com/reports.htm. Chris Marquet is also the author of a popular blog by the same name, http://fraudtalk.blogspot.com, which chronicles a variety of active white collar crime cases including major embezzlements.
For more information go to http://www.marquetinternational.com
VoiceAmerica.com is the world leader in online media broadcasting and the largest producer and distributor of live internet based talk radio , delivering over 300 hours of programming weekly on its VoiceAmerica™ talk radio Network (http://www.voiceamerica.com). Broadcasting to seven niche community based channels: its flagship VoiceAmerica™ Variety Channel, VoiceAmerica™ Health & Wellness Channel, VoiceAmerica™ Business Channel, VoiceAmerica Sports, 7th Wave Channel, Empowerment, and VoiceAmerica Kids Channel. VoiceAmerica.com is one of the pioneers in internet broadcasting, producing and syndicating online Live and on-demand talk radio, offering an innovative, effective and comprehensive digital broadcast platform. Digital Publishing through its 15 years of broadcast and media experience along with our seasoned staff of Executive Producers, Production and Host Services Group, VoiceAmerica.com provides an internet radio platform for new, emerging and veteran media personalities to expand and monetize their business and brand in an online digital medium.