Concerned citizens from Macomb County plan peaceful vigil at high kill shelter
Shelby Township, MI -- (SBWIRE) -- 04/09/2015 -- Homeless cats and dogs are most often someone's lost pet or an animal whose owner is no longer able to care for their pet. In Shelby Township there is a facility that has not embraced best practices and needlessly kills these animals. In the last decade there have been dramatic changes in the animal welfare community as shelters embrace best practices and use current research dispelling myths and poor practices surrounding sheltering and homelessness. Macomb County Humane Society is not among these.
Some information* regarding Humane Society of Macomb (aka Macomb County Humane Society):
- Killed 68% of the animals taken in that were not returned to their owner
- Save rate compared to other shelters in Michigan: 121st out of 142, in the lowest 15%.
- Save rate compared to other open admission shelters in Michigan: 45th out of 53, in the lowest 15%.
- 2013 Revenue: $1.7 million
- 83% of revenue is from public support.
- $7.6 million in securities and cash and another $1.5 million in securities is held by the Humane Society of Macomb Foundation.
- Charity Navigator score: 52.65 (out of 100) and 0 (zero) stars (out of 4)
Our residents expect better for the animals in our community. Over the past several years, many have tried unsuccessfully to work with the Macomb County Humane Society facility for positive change.
Residents are using the tools we have to end the needless killing at this facility – the right as Americans to protest and to shine a light on this operation. Concerned citizen and animal advocates are welcome, please join with us.
When: Saturday, April 11, 2015, starting at 10:00 am.
Where: Sidewalk in front of Humane Society of Macomb, 11350 22 Mile Rd., Shelby Township, Michigan
Public parking is available in subdivision just west of the shelter.
Please remain on public property.
*Attachments and/or Links to sources:
Individual Shelter Report – 2013 (http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-1569_16979_21260---,00.html)
2013 Michigan Shelters by Save and Live Release Rate (http://www.michiganpetfund.org/save-rate-reports-awards/)990_2013 – Macomb County Humane Society
990_2013 – Humane Society of Macomb Foundation http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=6167