Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/24/2014 -- Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is a chronically underserved market currently dominated by the two approved drugs, both of which are antipsychotics. There is off-label use of a multitude of other drugs which target different core and non-core symptoms of ASD. Since this disorder can first become apparent in very young children there is a need for medications which are safe and effective in the pediatric population. The ASD market is expected to grow remain relatively flat between 2012 and 2018, which is predominantly due to various drug patent expiration, and the introduction of novel therapies in the US and EU countries is not anticipated to offset this expected decline in the market. The new treatments will target some key unmet needs but opportunities will remain for drugs which can effectively target any of the many core and non-core symptoms of ASD, as well as offering an improved safety profile over currently used drugs.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Questions Answered
- The ASD market is marked by the presence of a number of unmet needs in current treatments. What are the main unmet needs in this market? Will the drugs under development fulfil the unmet needs of the ASD market?
- The late-stage ASD pipeline is filled with diverse therapies and novel routes of administration. Which drug will have a significant impact on the ASD market. Which of these drugs will have the highest CAGR, and why?
- The current ASD market is dominated by antipsychotics, many of which are used off-label. How will the introduction of numerous first-in-class drugs change the treatment landscape? How will the drug treatment rates change over the next five years? What are the key drivers and barriers to this change?
- The main driver of the ASD market will be the introduction of first-in-class drugs which target core ASD symptoms, which will increase the market size following their uptake. The introduction of another antipsychotic will strengthen the market growth.
- An additional driver for the ASD market is the assignment of orphan drug status to several ASDs drugs.
- The biggest barrier for growth in the ASD market will be patent expiration of marketed and pipeline drugs, with rapid genericization expected in some markets.
- Significant opportunities remain for further drug development in the ASD market due to the large unmet need for novel safe and efficacious drugs for the pediatric population.
- Overview of ASD, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized ASD therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2012 and forecast for six years to 2018.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Pharmaceuticals research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Endometriosis - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Late-Stage Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Bladder Cancer - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Opioid-Induced Constipation - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Uveitis - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Acute Ischemic Stroke - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- Fleet Management Market (Fleet Analytics, Vehicle Tracking & Fleet Monitoring, Telematics, Vendor Services) By Vehicles (Trucks, Light Goods, Buses, Corporate Fleets, Container Ships, Aircrafts) Worldwide Market Forecasts and Analysis (2013 - 2018)