Fast Market Research recommends "South Africa Defence & Security Report Q3 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/29/2013 -- Executive Summary
The deaths of 34 miners at the Marikana platinum mine northwest of Johannesburg in August 2012 during a protest over pay highlighted the risk to South African stability posed by such socio-economic issues as income inequality, not to mention the ability of the security services to deal proportionately with mass unrest. For the time being, the ruling African National Congress (ANC) appears capable of keeping a lid on these national tensions. However, this cannot be taken for granted in the long term.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Socio-economic priorities mean that the government is unlikely to deliver large funding increases to the South African National Defence Force (SANDF). The government has already revealed defence spending plans for the next three years which envisage some growth in the defence budget. However, these increases are not nearly enough to enable the SANDF to meet its procurement and personnel targets, analysts are warning.
The government's Defence Review, delivered in April 2012 and currently subject to parliamentary consultation, presents a timely opportunity for South Africa to think seriously about its defence posture. Essentially, it either needs to properly fund the ambitious regional involvements that the government has currently committed the SANDF to, or, it needs to scale back the military's commitments so that they match existing funding levels. The drain on skilled personnel within the SANDF has also been identified as a mounting crisis.
Over the last quarter BMI has revised the following forecasts/views:
- Updated South Africa's domestic, regional and international threat posture.
- Provided full details regarding the threat posed to South Africa's military posture by the country's high HIV/AIDS infection levels.
- Added details regarding the expected size of South Africa's defence budget over the forthcoming three years.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Defense research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- The South African Defense Industry: Market Opportunities and Entry Strategies, Analyses and Forecasts to 2017
- Saudi Arabia Defence & Security Report Q3 2013
- Iraq Defence & Security Report Q3 2013
- Indonesia Defence & Security Report Q3 2013
- Turkey Defence & Security Report Q3 2013
- United Arab Emirates Defence & Security Report Q3 2013
- Australia Defence & Security Report Q3 2013
- The Global Cybersecurity Market 2013-2023
- South Korea Defence & Security Report Q3 2013
- Homeland Security and Emergency Management Market, 2013-2018