Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 04/29/2014 -- BMI expects South Africa to spend US$3.5bn on defence in 2014. Next year, in 2015, we expect the defence budget to increase to US$4.5bn. This trend will continue into 2016 with the defence budget increasing US$5.4bn. The final two years of the forecast period we see South Africa's defence budget increasing firstly to US$6.1bn and then to US$6.7bn at the end of the period under examination.
Parliamentary elections due to be held by May 2014 should be a gauge of the popularity of the government of President Jacob Zuma. Of particular threat to its popularity is the opposition Democratic Alliance (DA), which has selected a veteran campaigner against apartheid, Mamphela Ramphele, as its presidential candidate. The selection of Dr. Ramphele could split the black vote, which has been traditionally loyal to the ANC. While it is unlikely that the ANC will lose the elections, the DA could narrow the gap between itself and the incumbent party. The ANC has lost popularity after a number of recent corruption scandals. The ANC is also not helped by continuing high unemployment among the young and a sluggish economy.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Defense research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- South Korea Defence & Security Report Q2 2014
- Future of the South African Defense Industry - Market Attractiveness, Competitive Landscape and Forecasts to 2018
- India Defence & Security Report Q2 2014
- The Global Military IT, Data and Computing Market 2014-2024
- Singapore Defence & Security Report Q2 2014
- Brazil Defence & Security Report Q2 2014
- Indonesia Defence & Security Report Q2 2014
- Japan Defence & Security Report Q2 2014
- The Global Soldier Modernization Market 2014-2024
- Pakistan Defence & Security Report Q2 2014