Fast Market Research recommends "South Africa Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015" from Business Monitor International, now available
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/27/2015 -- A cooling economy, rising unemployment and a worsening consumer outlook will limit the South African pharmaceutical market 's potential in the short term. However, the government's commitment to an expansive fiscal policy, particularly to spending on healthcare infrastructure and general healthcare expenditure, will support continued growth in the sector over the next five years.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: ZAR34.01bn (USD3.52bn) in 2013 to ZAR38.13bn (USD3.53bn) in 2014; +12.1% in local currency terms and +0.2% in US dollar terms. Forecast revised upwards from Q414.
- Healthcare: ZAR301.49bn (USD31.24bn) in 2013 to ZAR326.66bn (USD30.25bn) in 2014; +8.3% in local currency terms and -3.2% in US dollar terms. Forecast revised slightly downwards from Q414.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
South Africa has longer-term commercial potential because of its sizeable population and disease burden. South Africa is one of the most promising markets in the Middle East and Africa (MEA) region. South Africa's score in Q115 is 56.2, ranking it fourth in the MEA region.
Key Trends And Developments
- In November 2014 a subsidiary of Cardiome Pharma entered into an agreement with Pharmacare, which trades as Aspen Pharmacare and is a part of the Aspen Group, to sell and distribute Brinavess (vernakalant intravenous) exclusively in South Africa. Under the terms of the agreement, Aspen has agreed to specific annual commercial goals for Brinavess. Financial details of the agreement have not been disclosed.
- In October, patients, doctors and members of civil society met with government experts to plot a course for quickly reforming South Africa's patent laws in order to improve access to affordable essential medicines. The National Summit on Intellectual Property and Access to Medicines in Pretoria was organised by TAC, which is leading the 'Fix the Patent Laws' coalition of 13 civil society organisations.
- In October, the Department of Trade and...
The South Africa Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's South Africa Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the South Africa pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for South Africa, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the South African pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the South African pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in South Africa.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and Competitive Landscape Tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMI?s forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI?s political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per ?000 population).
Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 800-844-8156
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Egypt Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015
- Argentina Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015
- Kenya Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2015
- United Arab Emirates Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015
- Lebanon Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015