New Healthcare market report from Business Monitor International: "South Africa Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014"
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 10/20/2014 -- South Africa's tepid economic growth, depreciating currency and current account deficit will limit the market potential over the next decade in real terms. Foreign investment is increasingly subdued and therefore catalysts for economic development are withdrawing. This will weigh on the pharmaceutical market's development.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: ZAR34.01bn (USD3.52bn) in 2013 to ZAR37.28bn (USD3.45bn) in 2014; +9.6% in local currency terms and -2.1% in US dollar terms. Forecast broadly in line with Q314.
- Healthcare: ZAR301.49bn (USD31.24bn) in 2013 to ZAR327.32bn (USD30.31n) in 2014; +8.6% in local currency terms and -3.0% in US dollar terms.
Despite the country's low risk profile being more favourable than its rewards profile, South Africa has longer-term commercial potential because of its sizeable population and disease burden. South Africa is one of the most promising markets in the entire Middle East and Africa (MEA) region. South Africa's score in Q414 is 55.8, giving it a ranking of fourth position in the MEA region.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Trends And Developments
In September 2014, the Competition Commission announced that it had found no evidence of price fixing in the anti-retroviral market between Aspen, Mylan and other generic drugmakers.
Also in September, the Ministry of Health redefined the nature of complementary medicines after pressure from complementary medicine makers such as Adcock Ingram. The definition has been broadened, allowing many medicines that would previously have been removed from the market to continue to be sold in pharmacies.
In June 2014, the Free State's hospital system was on the verge of collapse, with many hospitals turning away patients, salaries reported unpaid and stocks of medicines running low. As of June, the Free State's Bloemfontein medicine depot had run out of more than 200 essential drugs, including six different anti-retrovirals. Also in June, health workers and...
The South Africa Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's South Africa Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the South African pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's independent pharmaceutical and healthcare industry forecasts for South Africa to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the South African pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the South African pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in South Africa.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and Competitive Landscape Tables.
BMI Industry View & Industry SWOT
An at-a-glance perspective on latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The SWOT outlines strategic factors which affect BMI's forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI's political, economic and business environment SWOTS, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
Snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as an analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
Focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, company M&As, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast, including:
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 800-844-8156
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- South Korea Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014
- CountryFocus: Healthcare, Regulatory and Reimbursement Landscape - South Korea
- Nigeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014
- Kenya Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014
- Singapore Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014
- Lebanon Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014
- Zimbabwe Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014
- Jordan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014
- Bahrain Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014
- Algeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014