New Fixed Networks research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/21/2015 -- Although the regulator has objected to handset subsidies, and fined operators for offering them, the access to new handsets has been driving the fast upgrade from 3G services to 4G. South Korea is one of Asia's outperformers, with consumers happy to spend on mobile services and often keen to upgrade to the latest services. This is also reflected in the wirelin e market where high-speed broadband continues to show good growth.
- The migration from 3G to 4G continues to grow apace. 4G users increased at a robust 34.9% y-o-y to 34.64mn as of Q314.
- The mobile market has continued to expand, even with penetration at 114% in 2014.
- The fixed-line market is still expanding, mostly due to the growth of VoIP, but it is slowing noticeably. Growth in the broadband market has slowed due to a combination of high penetration rates for wireline services and competition from LTE services.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
SK Telecom was reported to have filed a complaint against mobile messaging service provider Viber over patent infringement. The operator had sued Viber over alleged breach of four patents, according to Viber CEO Talmon Marco. SK Telecom later dropped one of the cases, while South Korea's patent office nullified two more cases and now both the firms are fighting for the last case. The development highlights operators' increasing concerns over OTT players' impact on revenues.
The Ministry of Health & Welfare launched a pilot tele-medical services programme in October 2014 at select medical institutions and community health centres in South Korea. The programme aims to introduce tele-medical services to enhance the healthcare of patients and ensure that medical services are more accessible to the elderly, the disabled and the residents in remote areas.
SK Telecom, KT Corp and LG Uplus reduced registration charges for new subscribers by 50% in September, in line with a previously agreed government strategy. SK Telecom reduced its sign-up fee to...
The South Korea Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of South Korea's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's South Korea Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in South Korea.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for South Korea to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Korean telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in South Korea's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in South Korea.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Rankings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Rankings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Rankings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The rankings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 800-844-8156
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- South Africa Telecommunications Report Q1 2015
- Malaysia Telecommunications Report Q1 2015
- West & Central Africa Telecommunications Report Q1 2015
- Hong Kong Telecommunications Report Q1 2015
- Caribbean Telecommunications Report Q1 2015