Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 02/11/2014 -- Although Spain's mobile market continues to decline, we believe there is still scope for recovery for operators as 4G services have launched and smartphone ownership remains important. There has been no indication so far that this has improved ARPUs, but BMI believes this will be a longer term development. Economic pressures continue to affect market opportunities, but there is little indication that subscribers are willing to abandon their mobile and broadband services, but are more cautious about spending on these. Improved economic outlook will help create more opportunities for Spanish workers, in turn creating more opportunity and desire for spending. We maintain estimates of falling subscriber figures for the mobile market in 2013, but believe 2014 will see some recovery.
- The mobile market contracted by 5.9% year on year (y-o-y) in Q413, reaching 49.632mn. Market leader Movistar and second-ranked Vodafone are the main culprits
- The disconnection of active subscribers had helped maintain APRU rates but these continue to decline as we have forecast because of consumers' heightened price sensitivity of consumers and the implementation of mobile termination rate cuts.
- Dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions have not recovered according to the latest data available from the CMT.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Trends And Developments
ONO reported that its mobile subscriber base has surpassed the 1mn mark. ONO launched as an MVNO in September 2009 over Telefónica's infrastructure. The operator claims to have added more than 600,000 new mobile voice subscribers since December 2012.
Vodafone began conducting LTE-Advance (LTE-A) technology tests using spectrum in the 1800MHz and 2600MHz bands in Madrid. The tests are being carried out in laboratory settings and in the AZCA, and the Nuevos Ministerios areas of the city. Vodafone reportedly achieved downlink speeds of up to 297Mbps. The operator aims to commercially introduce LTE-A services in Madrid and Barcelona.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Iran Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- West & Central Africa Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- India Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Nigeria Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Denmark Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Saudi Arabia Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- South Africa Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- United Arab Emirates Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Ireland Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Tanzania Telecommunications Report Q1 2014