San Clemente, CA -- (SBWIRE) -- 10/12/2015 -- Dental and oral health is one of the major aspects of health that needs to be focused on by many. Most would ignore this thinking that it has no significant impact on the overall health; this is however not true because oral problems, specifically, periodontal diseases could lead to life-threatening complications if not given prompt and effective treatments. Based on most clinical studies, people who develop gingival problems have also been diagnosed with secondary fatal complications such as:
- Coronary artery disease
- Cerebrovascular diseases
- Premature birth
- Uncontrolled Diabetes Mellitus
- Respiratory disorders
- Kidney problems
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Basically, periodontal diseases are caused by bacteria and when the oral cavity becomes the focal point of bacterial growth and multiplication, it may lead to the development of severe infections specifically of the gums. The causative agent of periodontal diseases may travel to the vital organs like the heart, for instance, through the blood stream and some of the bacteria may lodge in the lungs, the kidneys, the heart and other parts of the body which could cause generalized systemic infections that could be fatal. And because, the bacteria coming from the infected gums could enter the systemic circulation and travel to the major arteries of the heart and if inflammation develops, the blood vessels would become narrow and this could, therefore, lead to strokes and heart attacks.
However, because of these facts, medical as well as dental health experts are in the search of the most effective ways to treat periodontal diseases. Basically, there are 2 major types of treatments: the surgical and the non-surgical treatment. These types of treatments are done to patients depending on the severity or extent of the infection or gum involvement.
Under the non-surgical or more conservative form of cure for periodontal diseases, here are the basic procedures:
- Professional oral prophylaxis. A San Clemente dentist will do the tartar and plaque removal as part of the prophylactic treatment; however if they diagnose their patients with gum disease, then the treatments would be better done twice a year.
- Scaling and root planing is a non-surgical deep cleaning procedure but should be done with the use of local anesthetic. The plaque and tartar are scraped away from below the gum line and all the rough spots are smoothed. This procedure can help remove bacteria and promotes a clean feel in the mouth.
And as for the surgical treatments, here are the basic procedures:
- Pocket reduction surgery or the Flap surgery is a procedure wherein the tartar is removed by lifting back the gums. After the plaque and tartar are removed, the damaged bone is smoothed and the gums are fit snugly around the tooth.
- Bone grafting. This is done by using bone fragments as a platform for regrowth to replace the bone that is lost due to gum disease. This is a procedure that encourages tissue and bone regeneration on an accelerated rate.
About Dana Ghorab DDS PC
Dana Ghorab DDS PC is a private San Clemente California family dental practice, devoted to the highest standards in personalized dental care. They provide comprehensive treatment, restorative and cosmetic dentistry using state-of-the-art equipment to ensure the highest quality and comfort. They pledge to provide their patients with only the care they need and to educate and inform them of all options available. They see patients of all ages and hope to provide continuous care to all members of their clients' family. They aim to make dental care as comfortable as possible.
PR and Marketing @ Dana Ghorab DDS PC
Email Address: email@example.com