Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/17/2014 -- We continue to favour the Tanzanian sugar and coffee industries over the medium term owing to their potential for growth on the back of strong investment in capacity. The grain industry in Tanzania will remain less competitive than in other countries in the region, particularly South Africa and Zambia, and we see little potential for the country to become a major grain exporter.
- Sugar production growth to 2017/18: 39.2 % to 424,500 tonnes. Increased investment in the sector as well as booming demand on the back of growing confectionery and soft drinks demand will support growth.
- Corn consumption growth to 2018: 17.9 % to 5.9 mn tonnes. A combination of enhanced yields (contributing to lower prices) and rising living standards is expected to drive corn consumption growth.
- Coffee production growth to 2017/18: 25.2 % to 1. 4 mn 60kg bags. The sector is benefiting from investment in disease-resistant trees, and from incentives for small producers.
- 2014 real GDP growth: 6.9% year-on-year (y-o-y), stable compared with the 2013 level; forecast to average 7.2% over 2013-2018.
- Consumer price inflation: 7.3% average in 2014 (down from 7.9% average in 2013).
- BMI universe agribusiness market value: 1 3.8 % y-o-y decrease to USD 1. 7 bn in 2014, forecast to remain relatively stable between 2012/13 and 2017/18.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Despite the introduction of drought-resistant rice seeds, farmers in Tanzania struggle to be competitive owing to higher power tariffs and increased combined harvester costs. Local farmers have indicated that even if they have managed to double production of rice thanks to the new seeds in some cases, they still pay up to TZS97,000 per hectare for a whole season, TZS150,000 per hour per combine harvester and TZS3,000 per bag per day.
Aside from Ethiopia, East African coffee producers have seen either stagnation or outright...
The Tanzania Agribusiness Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s market assessment and independent forecasts for production, consumption and trade across core agricultural commodities.
BMI's Tanzania Agribusiness Report includes independent commodity price forecasting and analysis for key agricultural outputs, an overview of the agribusiness competitive landscape and a discussion of the downstream context of agricultural production in relation to country food consumption forecasts and composite food and beverage trade forecasts.
- Use BMI's independent industry forecasts to test other views - a key input for successful planning in dynamic agribusiness markets.
- Apply BMI's medium-term commodity price analysis to assist with budgetary planning and the identification of investment opportunities and potential risks.
- Assess the activities and market position of your competitors, partners and clients.
BMI Industry View
An analytical summary of BMI's latest key industry forecasts and views, highlighting recent changes and key risks to the industry outlook for agribusiness in Tanzania.
Industry SWOT Analysis
At-a-glance perspectives on the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats facing the agricultural industry.
BMI Supply & Demand Forecasts
Divided into sections based on various diverse sectors in the agriculture market, the chapter provides insight into each market's agricultural industry, centred on sector forecasts to end-2018 for the consumption, production and trade of key agricultural commodities.
Consumption forecasts are accompanied by a discussion of the main drivers of consumption growth: macroeconomic factors, food processing trends, price movements and, increasingly, demand from the non-food sector.
Production forecasts examine the trends influencing BMI's production outlook: global demand, price increases, public and private sector investment and agricultural efficiency improvements.
Trade forecasts are accompanied by a discussion of the factors influencing a country's trade in agricultural goods, including domestic demand, global prices and government trade policies.
BMI's forecasts are accompanied by a Risks- to-Outlook assessment, which examines potential factors that could affect our existing forecast picture and the likelihood of their occurrence.
BMI's Commodity Price Analysis
Fundamental and technical analysis of the short- and medium-term price outlook for key agricultural commodities, based on globally-recognised benchmarks.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Food research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Australia Agribusiness Report Q3 2014
- China Agribusiness Report Q3 2014
- Venezuela Agribusiness Report Q3 2014
- Canada Agribusiness Report Q3 2014
- Malaysia Agribusiness Report Q3 2014
- United States Agribusiness Report Q3 2014
- Morocco Agribusiness Report Q3 2014
- New Zealand Agribusiness Report Q3 2014
- Italy Agribusiness Report Q3 2014
- Cameroon Agribusiness Report Q3 2014