Fast Market Research recommends "The Future of Travel and Tourism in India to 2016" from Timetric, now available
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 11/28/2012 -- In 2011, the World Economic Forum ranked India as the 12th most attractive tourist destination in the Asia-Pacific. Travel and tourism is the largest service sector in India according to Timetric analysis. In 2011, the tourism sector accounted for 7.3% of the country's GDP and employed 7.25% of India's total workforce. During the review period, total tourist visits to India increased from 541.4 million in 2007 to 831.5 million in 2011, registering a CAGR of 11.32%. This growth is attributed to a variety of factors including government initiatives, such as the granting of export house status to the Indian tourism sector, incentives for promoting private investment in the form of income tax exemptions, and the provision of interest subsidies.
- The growth in trip volumes across tourist types was driven by the concerted efforts of the Indian government to promote the tourism sector and better tourist facilitation. The government extended infrastructure status to the tourism sector in 2004, allowing cheaper, long-term funds to help finance tourism infrastructure.
- With more people migrating to cities for employment, the traditional 'joint-family' system in India has given way to an increasing number of nuclear families. This trend has brought a change in lifestyle with an increasing number of people visiting friends and families during vacations.
- The government has established incentives for tour operators that promote domestic tourism. In addition, there is potential for income tax exemption for hospitality providers who invest 50% of their profits back into tourism infrastructure.
- Inbound tourism recovered with positive growth rates in 2010 and 2011 respectively. The hosting of sporting events such as CWG in 2010 and the ICC World Cup in 2011 fueled inbound tourism during the review period.
- India's outbound tourism volume growth declined in 2009 as trips were postponed or cancelled due to unfavorable economic circumstances.
- India was the ninth-largest aviation market in the world in 2010. During the review period, the Indian government's "open sky policy" attracted many foreign aviation companies to operate on Indian soil.
- In 2008 and the first half of 2009, the Indian hotel market was adversely affected by the global economic conditions and the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008. As a result, several organizations limited their expenses related to travel and entertainment, and the hotel market suffered from a decline in revenues generated from meetings, conferences and corporate events.
- In 2011, the organized car rental market claimed a market share of 20% of the total car rental market. The significant majority of total business generated in the organized sector is from business to business agreements.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Companies Mentioned in this Report: Air India Ltd., IndiGo Airlines Pvt. Ltd, Jet Airways (India) Limited, Kingfisher Airlines Limited, SpiceJet Limited, The Indian Hotels Company Limited, EIH Limited, Mahindra Holidays & Resorts India Limited, Hotel Leela Venture Limited, Oriental Hotels Ltd., Cox & Kings Limited, Thomas Cook (India) Limited, MakeMyTrip Limited, Yatra Online Private Limited, Travel Corporation (India) Limited, Carzonrent (India) Private Ltd, ECOS India Mobility & Hospitality Pvt Ltd (Eco Rent a Car), Car Rental 2 India, Avis India, My Taxi India
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Consumer Goods research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- The Future of Travel and Tourism in Russia to 2016
- Future of Travel and Tourism in Mexico to 2016
- The Future of Travel and Tourism in Turkey to 2016
- The Future of Travel Intermediaries in the Philippines to 2016: Market Profile
- Travel and Tourism in Germany: Key Trends and Opportunities to 2016
- Travel and Tourism in the Czech Republic: Key Trends and Opportunities to 2016
- Travel and Tourism in Switzerland: Key Trends and Opportunities to 2016
- Travel and Tourism in Russia, Key Trends and Opportunities to 2016: Hosting of Winter Olympics Will Drive Investments In Tourism Infrastructure
- Travel and Tourism in Brazil, Key Trends and Opportunities to 2016: Hosting of FIFA World Cup and Olympic Games to Promote Tourism Growth
- Travel and Tourism in the Philippines, Key Trends and Opportunities to 2016: Government Committed to Increased Investment and Regulatory Change to Promote Tourism Growth
Copyright © 2005-2013 - SBWire, The Small Business Newswire - All Rights Reserved - Important Disclaimer
Contact Us: 888-4-SBWIRE (US) - 920-321-1250 (International)