There is just a small amount of theobromine that dogs can tolerate.
Irvine, CA -- (SBWIRE) -- 11/24/2015 -- When Theobromine reaches a toxic level in the dog's system, he may experience adverse effects such as increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea, uncontrolled muscle twitching, hyperactive behavior, excessive panting, digestive problems, stomach upsets, tachycardia, dehydration, seizures and so much more. These signs and symptoms of Theobromine toxicity may be detrimental or fatal for dogs.
Most people are thrilled when October comes because of the Halloween exhilaration and because of the dramatic fall weather. As Halloween is nearing, people are buying lots of different types of candy bars and chocolates for the trick-or-treaters. However, it would be quite a danger for dogs if they get a hold of these chocolate bars.
Theobromine, which is a component of chocolates because it is naturally existing substance in cocoa beans, can pose a huge health risk to dogs. The darker the chocolate the more Theobromine there is and the more it is hazardous even to top 10 most dangerous dogs; while white chocolates are safe for these adorable pets.
Furthermore, Theobromine has caffeine-like actions being an effective stimulant that stimulates the central nervous system as well as the cardiovascular system which in turn may result to elevated blood pressure. The very reason that chocolates are a no-no to dogs is because some animals like horses, cats and especially dogs do not have the ability to metabolize Theobromine as quickly as people do. Because of this rationale, the stimulant effect of the substance are more severe when taken by these animals.
When Theobromine reaches a toxic level in the dog's system, he may experience adverse effects such as increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea, uncontrolled muscle twitching, hyperactive behavior, excessive panting, digestive problems, stomach upsets, tachycardia, dehydration, seizures and so much more. These signs and symptoms of Theobromine toxicity may be detrimental or fatal for dogs.
There is just a small amount of Theobromine that dogs can tolerate; however, larger dogs may experience side effects, but may be able to escape the deadly effects and still recover.
On the other hand, if a dog was accidentally fed chocolate and it has already reached the bloodstream and causes Theobromine poisoning, there is a very slim chance that the dog will be able to survive. However, there are ways to treat a dog if the Theobromine has not yet entered the circulation; here are the emergency actions to take:
- Immediately induce vomiting to remove as much chocolate from the dog's stomach
- Feed the dog with activated charcoal because any toxins like the Theobromine would instantly bind to it.
- Keep the dog hydrated by giving him as much water as possible.
- Bring him to the nearest pet hospital or veterinarian so that he may be given appropriate drugs such as anticonvulsants as necessary and intravenous fluids to keep him hydrated.
It is important to know how to treat them and what is better is to prevent the dogs from accidentally eating foods that have Theobromine in it.
About The Haunted Magazine
The Haunted Magazine has an unparalleled reach across all kinds of readers and it focuses on every aspect of life. The articles cover every 'aspect' under the sun from pets to health to latest technology etc. The content in this free online magazine will be crisp and to the point as the website relies, not only on the editors but also takes up valuable suggestions from its loyal readers.
PR and Marketing @ The Haunted Magazine