Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Uganda Telecommunications Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/07/2014 -- Uganda's market opportunities lie predominantly in the mobile sector where subscription penetration is below 50% despite strong competition. The main barrier to growth is the Uganda remains one of a handful of countries with a mobile penetration rate of less than 50% as of June 2013. This is mainly because of poor network coverage in rural areas where the majority of the residents live. Although this development would have spurred investment in rural areas, BMI notes operators are increasingly deploying high-value services, including 4G LTE, in urban areas to sustain revenue growth. We expect this trend to continue until a strong business case for rural roll-out is established, particularly in the form of cost efficiency and sustainable revenue growth.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
- Despite the regulator reporting that SIM registration led to the deactivation of 1.5mn connections, the market's operators still reported growth in Q313.
- ARPU continues to fluctuate around the US$4 mark with little chance of rising.
- Fixed internet subscriptions contracted marginally in Q313
Uganda remained in 15th position in BMI's latest RRR table with an aggregate score of 40.3, up from the previous quarter. Uganda continues to outperform many of its peers in the country risks category, which reflects a positive real private consumption growth outlook during our five-year forecast period to 2017.
However, the country scores below the regional average in the other three categories, the lowest being the Industry Rewards category, which is held back by subscriptions growth, low ARPUs and operators' weak financial performances.
Key Trends & Developments
Operators continue to target mobile financial services as a key means of encouraging loyalty and spending on their networks. MTN introduced a life insurance policy for its clients in partnership with AON and Jubilee Insurance. A platinum subscription costs UGX22,500 a year and gives benefits up to UGX5mn. Airtel partnered with the Grameen Foundation to offer savings groups and credit to Ugandan consumers.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Iran Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- India Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- South Africa Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Ireland Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Tanzania Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Mexico Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Argentina Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Bahrain Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Oman Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Greece Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
Copyright © 2005-2014 - SBWire, The Small Business Newswire - All Rights Reserved - Important Disclaimer
Contact Us: 888-4-SBWIRE (US) - 920-593-5640 (International)