Fast Market Research recommends "Venezuela Oil & Gas Report Q2 2014" from Business Monitor International, now available
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 02/14/2014 -- We retain a cautious stance on the Venezuelan oil and gas sector. While a flurry of new loans and deals may improve the financial position of PdVSA over the short term, the threat that badly needed funds will diverted from investment into the oil and gas sector to fund social programmes remains as real as ever. Moreover, although our long-term forecasts call for growth as projects in the Orinoco belt ramp up, we expect Venezuela to continue its underperformance given the scale of challenges - which range from political interference to chronic underinvestment. Similarly, despite abundant gas reserves, we expect Venezuela to remain a net importer of gas over the course of our forecast period.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
The key trends and developments in Venezuela's oil and gas sector are:
- We continue to hold a conservative outlook for Venezuelan oil production, seeing more downside risk than upside in the near term in the absence of a wider overhaul of the sector. We acknowledge that there is some scope for improvement, with PdVSA having reported a flurry of recent loans and credit deals, which will see substantial funds pumped into the troubled firm to support upstream development. This could allow for some long-stalled projects in the Orinoco Belt to advance. However, the risk remains strong that, as in the past, funds intended to support the chronically underfunded oil and gas sector could be diverted to support additional social expenditure.
- In the medium term, production growth will remain sluggish until near the end of the decade, when we expect a modest acceleration, as planned and proposed developments in the Orinoco belt come online. Our conservative forecast assumes continued delays and problems that have been a hallmark of the country's oil sector.
- Despite Venezuela's unfavourable licensing terms and difficult business environment, which have forced international oil companies including ConocoPhillips, ExxonMobil, and more recently Petronas and Lukoil, to exit the country, a significant amount of foreign interest remains. In particular, players from India, China and Russia are continuing to make investments as they seek access to the Orinoco belt.
- Of these, China remains the largest, although there are reports Beijing is growing concerned with Venezuela's ability to repay the loans. This reflects a growing debt of oil-for-loans. While some of the recent agreements remain opaque, we approximate that total lending from China is approaching US $43bn, with a large chunk agreed under an oil-for-loans scheme. While this may help to ease Venezuela's poor cash flow position though, there are potentially damaging long-term implications from these loan agreements. Should production continue to stagnate, and the oil-for-loans burden rise, Venezuela may end up sending around half of its total net exports to China by the middle of the decade in order to repay them, and receive no revenue in return.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Energy research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Lightstream Resources Ltd. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Pioneer Southwest Energy Partners L.P. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Sure Energy Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Gran Tierra Energy Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Comstock Resources, Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- TriOil Resources Limited Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Crimson Exploration Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Bonavista Energy Corporation Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Novus Energy Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Sea Dragon Energy Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
Copyright © 2005-2014 - SBWire, The Small Business Newswire - All Rights Reserved - Important Disclaimer
Contact Us: 888-4-SBWIRE (US) - 920-593-5640 (International)