Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/18/2014 -- King is an interactive entertainment company that develops and publishes casual games. Its games include the highly successful Candy Crush Saga. In March 2014, its IPO failed to achieve its target price with investors concerned by the company's reliance on Candy Crush and the disappointing performance of rival Zynga since its IPO in December 2011. This case study analyzes King and these issues.
Features and benefits
- Looks at the history of King Digital Entertainment and how it has grown in to a billion dollar business
- Examines King Digital Entertainment's business model and how this has led to extremely strong growth in recent years
- Analyzes the company's IPO, its outcome and the reasons behind it
- Examines the challenges facing King Digital Entertainment, particularly with regards to smash hit title Candy Crush Saga
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Originally incorporated as Midasplayer.com Limited in 2002, King was founded to facilitate an IPO and is now the holding company for all assets. King has developed a number of games ranging from multiplayer pool to Candy Crush. This constant development along with the exploitation of various distribution channels has seen revenues and profits soar.
King's adopts a multi-channel approach, although there are signs of an increasing dependence on mobile revenues. The company is reliant on a small number of titles for the majority of its revenue, most notably Candy Crush. The surge in popularity of this game has seen the company grow both revenue and profits as it follows a 'freemium' model.
In September 2013, King announced plans to float on the New York Stock Exchange. Despite much publicity in the run up to the IPO, the shares failed to achieve their target price amid investor concern. Comparisons were drawn with rival Zynga, a company which has performed poorly having failed to build on the success of once popular games.
Your key questions answered
- What is King Digital Entertainment?
- What is King Digital Entertainment's business model?
- What was the outcome of King Digital Entertainment's initial public offering (IPO)?
- What future challenges is King Digital Entertainment facing and how can it mitigate these?
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Software research reports at Fast Market Research