Recently published research from Datamonitor, "Treatment Algorithms: Schizophrenia - New antipsychotic launches underwhelm", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/11/2012 -- Early uptake data suggest that new product launches such as Fanapt (iloperidone; Novartis) and Latuda (lurasidone; Dainippon Sumitomo) have failed to make an impact on the schizophrenia treatment landscape. These products will find it increasingly difficult to supplant the market leaders as generic competition heralds the end of an era for multi-billion dollar atypical antipsychotic brands.
- Quantify the prevalent, diagnosed, and treated schizophrenia patient populations in each of the seven major markets.
- Analyze physician prescribing habits by drug class, formulation, and line of therapy.
- Understand how and why treatment, polypharmacy, and compliance rates vary in the seven major markets.
- Identify opportunities for increasing market share through effective product positioning.
Psychiatrists estimate that just under half of prevalent schizophrenia cases do not report their symptoms and seek treatment, while one third of patients do not receive an accurate diagnosis. The nature of schizophrenia complicates its presentation, as sufferers may lack the drive or insight into their symptoms needed to seek help.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Abilify (aripiprazole; Bristol-Myers Squibb/Otsuka) is the most commonly used antipsychotic brand for first- and second-line treatment of schizophrenia. In a market where treatment decisions are largely driven by safety profiles, Abilify is crucially associated with lower incidences of common antipsychotic side effects than some of its competitors.
The three latest antipsychotics to reach the market have all experienced very slow uptake and have so far failed to penetrate first-line therapy. Their underwhelming market shares reveal that the US schizophrenia drug market is now saturated with atypical antipsychotics and that the market not very receptive to new, undifferentiated treatments
Reasons to Get this Report
- How does each drug's patient share vary by country and line of therapy?
- What can be done to influence the patient pathway to increase market share?
- What is the realistic patient population that a new market entrant can target?
- How have generic antipsychotics affected prescribing behaviors in the seven major markets?
- What proportion of patients experience treatment a complete response with currently available antipsychotics?
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Pharmaceuticals research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Bone Metabolism Therapeutics Market to 2018 - Hyperparathyroidism Sector to Decline in the Absence of New Product Launches and Increased Generic Erosion for Zemplar, Hectorol and Sensipar
- Central Nervous System Disorders Therapeutics Market to 2017 - Multiple Sclerosis, Major Depressive Disorder and Schizophrenia Accounted for Half the Market Value in 2010
- Abbott Laboratories (ABT) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Genta Incorporated (GNTA) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma Co., Ltd. (4506) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Antipsychotics Market to 2017 - Patent Expiries for Zyprexa, Abilify, Seroquel and Geodon and the Launch of Generic Versions Will Limit Commercial Opportunities for Pipeline Molecules
- Alkermes, Inc. (ALKS) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (SPPI) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Treatment Algorithms: Rectal Cancer - Inclusion of chemoradiation can influence treatment and prescribing trends
- Forest Laboratories, Inc. (FRX) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile